Mittwoch, 8. September 2010

Why Did I Deny Myself Orange Club Cookies For So Long & Other Tales Of Oatmeal‏

First off, since arriving here in Iceland I have been treating myself to coffee soaked cookies just about every morning.  It is delicious and divine.  Normally they are either of the oatmeal variety, or Jacobs Club chocolate cookies.  And then the other day I bought Orange Club, just to see what they tasted like.  HOW COULD I HAVE DENIED MYSELF THIS BLISS FOR SO LONG????  I came so close to not buying them, and to my knowledge they do not exist in Germany.  And now with less than a week left to the trip I must binge on them in an effort to purge myself of this new need for them that can not, and will not, be fulfilled in Stuttgart.  So much deliciousness that I miss in Iceland, to find something that borders on pure heaven this late in the game is a cruel trick indeed!

And this brings me to my original subject, food!  See there are many aspects of the German that I love.  He rides a motorcycle, he likes to travel (particularly ON motorcycle), and he likes Naruto almost as much as I do.  This allows me to overlook the fact that he thinks my webcomics are a waste of time.  But one fault line in the relationship comes to food and our relationship to it.  And the fact I turn into a troll whenever I am not fed poses something of a problem.

You see I love food.  I adore it.  My life revolves around it.  When I travel I want to eat the food.  I want to eat at street stalls and at canteens and at restaurants.  Food is a vital part of a people's culture, and I even love going to supermarkets just to see how they are arranged and what it all looks like.  I can not stress how important food is to me.  My father is a cook by trade, and he raised us to believe that ketchup is evil outside of hot dogs and hamburgers, and that food is a gift and a way to show your love and appreciation for your friends and family.

Patrick however sees food as sustenance.    Of course he loves a good meal, and better something delicious than not.  But he does not NEED food.  If you ask him to describe the perfect day, chances are he will forget about the food part. And his day has yet to be ruined by a really crappy meal (a lack of one - yes, but a crappy one is disappointing,  but hardly earth shattering.  For me it is shattering indeed, as in addition to a love of food, I inherited my father's temper, only amplified, and plates can smash.)

Toss in there that Patrick is Swabian (translates into likes to save rather than spend money) and we have the one friction point of travel.  I want to eat out and eat well.  He wants to save and eat to live.  iN A cheap country this works out for both of us.  An expensive one like Iceland and, errrrrr.

BUT, I may have found a solution.  Coffee drenched cookies are part of it (I never said my tastes were expensive, just that I love anything that tastes good), but we have created a meal that is simple, cheap and makes both of us happy in the morning.

Oatmeal with bakers chocolate melted inside.  About 33 cents a meal.  My palate sings, and Patrick gets to keep his face minus long scratch marks.  I am like a Gremlin, only I turn into one when not fed, time independent.....

Posted via email from Unleash Your Adventure

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen